petdrz
petdrz, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cat isn't eating or drinking, last urine was last night, last defecation 2 day

Customer Question

Hi
My cat isn't eating or drinking, last urine was last night, last defecation 2 days ago.
Today have given her water with a syringe.
It's like she's afraid of food and doesn't want to drink water.
3 days she was hacking like she had hairballs. Have seen no evidence she got rid of them.
Category: Cat
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you. This is a very common presentation for a cat that stops eating, and it can be a challenge to get to the bottom of why this is happening. Contrary to popular belief, hairballs rarely cause GI issues and hair should be easily ingested and passed by cats in most cases. If they are having problems and hacking or bringing them up frequently, it is usually more a sign of GI disease, which can be difficult to prove. We will usually start with the easy to rule out disease conditions of the other organs of the body by testing bloodwork and urine. In many cases of organ dysfunction, it can lead to anorexia and nausea. If those are normal, we will usually proceed to some sort of imaging of the GI tract with either an xray or an ultrasound or both. Unfortunately, GI disease can still be present and there can be no other abnormalities noted on bloodwork, xray or even ultrasound. In some cases, the only way to confirm the diagnosis is with a biopsy of the intestine. I would definitely not allow her to go too long without eating. A prolonged period of reduced calories in cats can lead to liver disease. After an exam, even if the cause is not yet noted, your vet will be able to prescribe meds to help stimulate her appetite. It is not uncommon, that we get them eating again, before we ever find the cause, but as long as it is not a recurrent problem that is ok. In the meantime, see if you may be able to entice her with some very aromatic cat food, warmed to increase the aroma, or even a little boiled chicken. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.Dr Z