Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech 35+ years working w/Cats
5071285

My cat come home the Friday night and has hid under the

Customer Question

Hi my cat come home the Friday night and has hid under the bed.. we finally managed to get him out this morning and he had a drink of water but hasn't had anything to eat of been to the toilet since
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it be shock?
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with interest in Feline health.Can you tell me if he has urinated at all?Does he seem in pain?Can you feel behind his belly and see if it feels swollen, possibly like a water balloon?Can you check the gum color and let me know if the look normal or are pale to white?Joan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiJoan
No he does not appear to be in pain,there is no swelling and his cums are a pale pink colour.
We have not noticed him urinating.
He is currently smuggled up on our bed and he is sleeping soundly,he still hasn't eaten since Friday morning and not gone to the toilet.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,The biggest concern is that he is a male cat and has not urinated. When I hear about a male hiding and not active and not passing urine the first thing that comes to mind is a possible Urinary blockage. Male cats have a very small urethra and block easily. They need to pass urine or the bladder starts swelling and can rupture hence asking if he feels swollen like a water balloon. The lack of appetite and lack of urination are not good signs. Cats are prone to crystals in the urine and that is what can block them. If there is any way possible I suggest he sees the Emergency Vet tonight and if not tonight tomorrow morning. As far as eating please try some smelly food to see if you can stimulate him to eat something. Canned tuna or sardines make work to get is attention. You can also try some chicken Baby food without onion or garlic if you cannot get anything else into him.The lack of using the litter box is my biggest concern, right now. http://consciouscat.net/2011/07/05/urinary-blockages-a-serious-problem-in-cats/Please let me know If I have addressed your concerns. If not please hit reply.Joan