Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  21 years small animal general and emergency practice
15552883

My cat is acting completely normal, playing, eating, letting us hold him but since

Customer Question

Hello, my cat is acting completely normal, playing, eating, letting us hold him but since yesterday he has been making frequent trips to the litter box. He doesn't pee much each time, just a little clump every time, and twice now I have seen a spot of blood in it. Any thoughts?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thanks for writing in.
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 1 year ago.
What kind of food does Finn eat (i.e. brand, dry or canned)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Blue Wilderness (grain free)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And it's dry
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your replies.
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 1 year ago.
Urination problems are quite common in younger male cats.
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 1 year ago.
Possible reasons include: a urinary tract infection, cystitis (inflammation of the bladder), bladder stones, crystals in the urine, among others.
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 1 year ago.
They will commonly go to the litter box repeatedly and only produce a small amount of urine, because of pain - they want to try and keep the bladder empty because keeping urine in the bladder (when it's irritated) is uncomfortable.
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 1 year ago.
The biggest concern in a young male cat with a urinary problem, is the chance of him developing a urinary blockage, which is very serious and can be fatal if not treated quickly. Since he is producing urine (albeit small amounts each time), it sounds like he's not blocked at this time, but there's a chance he can become blocked where he would not be able to actually pass any urine (or VERY little).
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 1 year ago.
I would highly recommend getting Finn into a veterinarian for an exam, a urine test, and possibly X-rays to check for the conditions I mentioned previously. That way, treatment can be started as soon as possible, in order to make Finn more comfortable (and to try and prevent a urinary blockage from occurring).
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 1 year ago.
It would be best to get him examined and treated today (ER clinic, or on-call veterinarian if your veterinarian is not available). There's not really anything you can do or give him at home to alleviate the problem, other than try to get him to drink plenty of liquids to try and flush the bladder. You can offer water, low-sodium chicken broth, or tuna water (the water from a can of tuna).
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 1 year ago.
Treatment can vary, depending on what is found on the exam and tests. Sometimes antibiotics or pain relievers are needed. A change of food may also be needed, especially if crystals are found in the urine, or if bladder stones are present. Canned food can also be beneficial because of the extra moisture content (helps to produce more urine).
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 1 year ago.
These are some articles that may be helpful for you:Feline Lower Urinary Tract DiseaseFeline Idiopathic Cystitis I hope all of this information is helpful. Please let me know if I can assist you and Finn further.Dr. Dave
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much. We'll start feeding him wet food and take him to the vet tomorrow.
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome - glad to be here to help out!
I hope everything goes well with Finn.
Take care,
Dr. Dave