How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terri Your Own Question
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Category: Cat
Satisfied Customers: 32081
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368
Type Your Cat Question Here...
Terri is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 14-year-old cat has had diarrhea days. She's eating,

Customer Question

My 14-year-old cat has had diarrhea for 4 days. She's eating, drinking and urinating normally. She's also acting normally as far as I can tell. However, I'm worried she may have ingested a small amount of a lily plant, although I don't know for sure. I'm just now learning that lilies are extremely toxic to cats, so I'm freaking out a bit. She was last outside 1.5-2 weeks ago and we do have lilies in our yard. I know she was near them, but I don't know if she ate any. We also had a flower arrangement inside recently that may have had a couple of lily flowers in it, which we threw out 4-5 days ago. She tends to eat anything green she can get her mouth on.
About a week ago, there was several days when she didn't eat much and vomited once or twice a day for a couple of days. She resumed eating, so I didn't think much of it, and she tends to vomit after eating grass, which she ate when she was outside.
My questions are: If she did ingest lily and enough of it to cause kidney damage, what now? Is it too late to seek treatment? I'm in a rural area where the nearest emergency vet with Sunday hours is an hour away. My cat had an annual blood test about 2 months ago and all of her levels were fine.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Hello,
I am so sorry to hear Sonoma may have ingested lilies. As little as two flowers could cause liver and or kidney damage.
Its not too late but you must take her to the ER vet right away.
Bring examples of the flowers she may have eaten.
The vet will check he kidneys for fluid and her liver for damage but time is of the essence to get her treated.
http://pets.thenest.com/much-lily-cats-eat-hurt-9956.html
The good news is Sonoma is eating and not having seizures or symptoms of renal failure so I am praying she did not eat any of the plants.
Please write back and let me know how she is doing.
I hope all will be well.
Love,
Terri
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** she did get into the lilies, I doubt she would have eaten the flower. At most, she would have licked or chewed a leaf. (She never goes for flowers, always the leafy greens). Even still, I will call the ER vet and see if I'm still able to get her in today. Thank you for your prompt reply.
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
You are more than welcome. It was my pleasure to help such a wonderful person.
Please let me know how your baby is doing.
Love and prayers for her
Terri