Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My cat had a ultra sound and I was told he has intestinal thinking

Customer Question

My cat had a ultra sound and I was told he has intestinal thinking of part of the small intestine and also of the large. They want to do surgery to find out if it is small call lymphoma. Cat is 13 years old. should I have the surgery?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I understand your concern. While either scoping and biopsy of the gastrointestinal tract or abdominal exploratory is needed to confirm small cell lymphoma in these cats, your decision should be predicated upon whether or not you would be willing to treat Cosmo for small cell lymphoma should it be confirmed. This would entail chemotherapy for many months, a considerable time and expense commitment for you with a prognosis of a 6-9 month life expectancy. Considering the above, I would be circumspect about having such invasive work done at Cosmo's age but it is available for the determined owner and should always be offered to owners as part of good standard of care. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.