petdrz
petdrz, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

Our small dog just received a cut on his eyelid from another

Customer Question

Hi. Our small dog just received a cut on his eyelid from another dog. I have some Dexamethasone drops which were prescribed a year ago for a tear duct inflammation which is long gone. Would this help prevent infection now?
Category: Cat
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you. I would not recommend that you use dexamethasone eye drops on Tucker. Those are steroids and they suppress the immune response as they are anti-inflammatory. In fact, if there is any sort of scratch or ulcer on the surface of the cornea, it can actually slow down healing. You can apply cool compresses to the eye lid and use saline or eye wash to rinse the eyes if needed. If it looks irritated, or if the eye starts to discharge, especially if it is yellow or green that can be a sign of infection and should be evaluated by your veterinarian. I hope this is helpful. Please letme know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100%satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarifyfor you.Dr Z