Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My cat is shedding a lot. She is an out door cat. She also

Customer Question

My cat is shedding a lot. She is an out door cat. She also has the area above her eyes where she has rubbed off the hair. She is older
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome!
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you and Fraiddy, today.
I'm sorry her shedding has you worried.
Some cats will shed more as they get older and also, if it's summer weather where you live, cats will shed more in the hotter months.
If she is losing fur above her eyes, something may be causing itchiness or irritation so she's over-grooming and/or scratching in this area.
I would not advise putting Benadryl cream in the areas above her eyes, as this can get in her eyes as she grooms and cause problems; in addition, she could ingest it.
Cats can lose fur/shed more, for various reasons. Sometimes, they're not drinking enough, they may need the addition of extra Omega 3 fatty acids in their diet to make the skin and fur less dry. Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil is sold in pet supply stores and is a good nutritional supplement to add to her food to help with the condition of skin and fur. Always check with your vet before giving any over the counter products to your kitty. Here is more information:
http://www.petco.com/product/109074/Wild-Alaskan-Salmon-Oil-Cat-Food-Supplement.aspx
It's also possible that she has external parasites like fleas or mites, and this is causing the fur loss above her eyes.
Groom her by combing and/or brushing, twice every day, as this will help bring oils to the surface of her skin and also remove excess 'dead fur' so she doesn't ingest as much while grooming and then have hairball problems.
Because she's a senior cat, it would be advisable to have her evaluated by her vet and a routine senior blood panel done, just to make sure all is well, medically.
I hope all will be well with your Fraiddy!
Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback so I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you.
Rating will not cut off our communication and you can click 'Reply' at any time to keep in touch with me or ask for any clarification or additional information.
Warmest regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi James,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Fraiddy. How is everything going?

Cher