Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

The white skin on my cats eyes the inner lids are not closing

Customer Question

the white skin on my cats eyes the inner lids are not closing right what should I do she does not seem to be in any pain
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.
My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.
We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }
Regards,
Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.
I have worked out an answer for you below ...
While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can talk you through what I would be thinking if I was presented with such a case at my clinic.
Have a look at this image LINK and see if this looks like your cat has ...
If so this is the third eyelid of the cat and is on the inside corner of the cat's eye and is referred to as the nictitating membrane. It is the same membrane you see in the eyes of birds and snakes but people do not have it. Its function is unclear it may act to clean debris off the eye.
1. In some cats the third eyelid is noticeable but they are perfectly healthy in every other way, in these cases it may be a sign that your cat has recently had exposure to some infection or other but has now recovered.
2. In other cats it may be a sign that they are ill in some way and you may be seeing other symptoms, but it is not a reliable indicator which type of illness your cat may be suffering from. For this reason the wisest thing is that you have your vet check your cat over just to be on the safe side.
3. Where cats are not showing other signs of illness the third eyelid usually goes back to its normal position in a week without any particular treatment.
I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.
Regards,
Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.