Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have loved and owned cats for over 45 years.
60411192

14-16 week old kitten received vaccinations and neuter 7 days

Customer Question

14-16 week old kitten received vaccinations and neuter 7 days ago. Starting limping on right front leg yesterday and running a 104 temperature. Went to vet today. Kitten not walking, stumbling. Bloodworm looks fine. Prescribed clavamox. Kitten now can't walk. Not eating or drinking. Crawled to litter box. Can't get in. I helped him and he urinated quite a bit. Back legs better than front legs.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. Thank you for requesting me but I'm sorry that I was off my computer when you did so.
I'm sorry for this concern for Feather; I'm certain that you're terribly worried about her.
Given the timeline of the vaccinations he received and his current symptoms, it sounds as if he has Limping Kitten Syndrome secondary to the calici portion of the vaccines he received.
This virus has the ability to affect the joints in young kittens and can cause them to run fevers as well. One leg may be affected or all of them may be. They can also be so stiff and uncomfortable that they don't want to move; some of these kittens can be quite painful which is why they stop eating.
It's not a common reaction to this virus but I've seen it a few times in my career.
The good news is that if he does have this Syndrome, these signs will tend to resolve within 3-5 days or perhaps just a little longer and he'll be none the worse for having had them.
I tend to treat these cases with very, very low doses of Aspirin, usually about 1/4th of an 81 mg tablet once every three days.
I hope this helps to reassure you about him. Again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb