Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat is mostly an outdoor cat. He got extremely sick about

Customer Question

My cat is mostly an outdoor cat. He got extremely sick about a month ago..no appitite, thin, no energy, scratchy meow. I kept him in the house for a week and he came back strong. Now it's starting again.. Could it be lizards? We have a lot of them
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
I am so sorry King is not feeling well.
Can you please tell me more about him?
Is he sneezing, coughing, vomiting or have diarrhea?
Is he vaccinated and neutered?
What foods does he eat?
After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.
Thanks,
Terri
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has been neutered and vaccinated at 6 months but has not had current vaccinations. Normally eats kibble and can food but the last time he became ill like this he got so frail and weak he wouldn't even drink. No coughing or vomiting. (diarrhea) ??.
The odd thing is his meow is not right. I know I'm crazy but it is scratchy and soft. Humm??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just checked for fleas and can't find any but coat appears brittle and has lost a lot of hair. The back of his ears are almost bald.
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for your very helpful reply. I am sorry I was not online when you posted.
A scratchy meow is usually related to an upper respiratory infection.
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/feline_upper_respiratory.html
King's loss of hair and general malaise is caused by him not feeling well. A cat that is outside has no resistance to flea bites and virus.
It would be a good idea to take him in again for a few weeks.
Feed him canned food as the oil will improve his coat and skin.
Add salmon oil to his food:
http://www.petco.com/product/109074/Wild-Alaskan-Salmon-Oil-Cat-Food-Supplement.aspx
Drop a quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeton in his food once a day to counter his allergic reaction. It is very tiny so he will not detect it:
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton/page1.aspx
Give him two drops of honey every 4 hours to sooth his throat.
You can also make a steam room by running a hot shower and take him in the bath room for ten minute intervals to break up congestion.
Please let me know how he is doing. I hope he feels better very soon.
Please be so kind as to rate my answer positively as that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!
If you need any additional information, just click reply and I will be here for you and your fur baby.. Rating will not cut off our communication. This question will always be open for you to reply to me.
Love,
Terri
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Hi Peggy Satterlee,
I'm just following up on our conversation about King. How is everything going?
Terri
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not ill enough to stay in the house this time. Gave him honey and steam room. Put flea drop on him and lots of can food with fish..Meow is much stronger and energy apears normal. Thank you
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Dear Peggy,
You are more then welcome. It was my pleasure to help such a wonderful person.
I am thrilled to hear he honey and steam made King feel better. That is GREAT news!
Please be so kind as to rate my answer so I am credited by the site It will not close our communication. I will still be here for you and your boy at no additional charge.
Love,
Terri