Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My cat has watery brown eye discharge in ine eye

Customer Question

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.I'm sorry to hear that your kitty has watery brown discharge from one eye. Normal tears have reddish/black/brown pigments in them and the pigments seem to increase when the eyes are irritated so it sounds like, for whatever reason, his eye is irritated and is producing more pigment and tears than usual. Possibilities include a blocked tear ducts, an abnormality of his eyelid (entropian or a rolled in eyelid or ectropian which is a rolled out eyelid), distichiasis (abnormal eyelashes that point toward the eye rather then outward), an upper respiratory infection or allergic irritants.As you can see there are fairly innocent reasons for this that can be helped with using artificial tears or flushing out his tears ducts but some of these problems need surgical repair. If he is feeling fine otherwise there are a couple things that you can try. I would continue using a warm compress on his eye, then flush his eye with sterile saline to remove any irritants.Then you can try using artificial tears every few hours and see if that helps. You can purchase both sterile saline and artificial tears at the drug store over the counter. Make sure the tear product is a tear replacement product only, do not buy Visine or anything that promises to take the red out.In case this is related to an upper respiratory infection you can give him an amino acid supplement called L-lysine at a dose of 500mg orally twice daily. If this infection is due to Herpes this amino acid interferes with virus replication and will shorten the infection's duration and severity. Good supplements to try are made by the Viralys brand which comes in a powder to add to the food or a tasty gel. If he isn't much better in a week or so he should be looked at by his veterinarian to try and diagnose his particular problem.Best of luck with your fellow, let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara