Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a female cat, I have been breeding Siamese years..

Customer Question

I have a female cat, I have been breeding Siamese for 5 years.. She is bleeding and a red sack has expelled with no kitten and I'm positive she should be in labor but this female cat has had 3 litters prior with nothing of this nature
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.I am very sorry to hear that this poor little one is having a difficult labor. Unfortunately I believe what you are seeing are fetal membranes. Once these are seen a kitten should be delivered very quickly, usually within 15 minutes but definitely within half an hour. Given that no progress is occurring I am very concerned about her as well as the health of her litter.I highly recommend she be seen by a veterinarian now on an emergency basis.I know that she has successfully had previous litters but it sounds like this time is very different for her.It is possible that she has a large or malpositioned kitten stuck in her birth canal. It is also possible that she just needs an oxytocin injection or calcium because of uterine stasis.Whatever is causing her dystocia (difficult delivery) this is not something to be treated at home.The longer you wait the higher the chance that she or her kittens may not make it through this.If you don't know of an emergency clinic in your area here is a link to help you find one: http://www.veccs.org/index.php?And here is another link, just make sure to check the box that says this is an emergency: http://www.myveterinarian.com/avma/vclPublic/#Please let me know if you have any further questions for me.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Nala. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara