Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

I noticed a red patch on one side of my cats chin. It doesn't

Customer Question

Hi, I noticed a red patch on one side of my cats chin. It doesn't seem to be bothering him, he's eatting,drinking and washing ok.his teeth look ok. I've been bathing it. Unsure if I should carry on bathing it in water or leave it?
Chloe
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome!
My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to help you and Dooley today.
I'm sorry this red patch has you worried.
Does Dooley spend any time outside?
Is the hair missing in the area of this red patch?
Does the skin look irritated, red or scaly?
Do you see an tiny black specks on his skin/fur in this area?
Is he scratching at it or rubbing it with his paw?
Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me some time to read through it, then, compose/send your answer.
Warmest regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His skin looks red and abit scabby.
His is not missing any fur.
when I bathe the area I do see soon black specks.
No it doesn't seem to be irritating him.He's not scratching the area.
Thanks.
Chloe
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Chloe and thanks for your very helpful reply.
If his skin looks red and a little scabby, it's possible that this may be ringworm, but usually hair loss is seen with that. Here is more information:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2134&aid=223
If you see some black specks, this could be a sign that his sebaceous (oil) glands are overactive and have caused the area to become too oily, causing some feline acne.
http://www.cat-world.com.au/feline-acne
Black specks can also be flea 'dirt' and even if he is an indoor only cat, it's possible to get fleas because they're brought in on humans' shoes and pant legs. He wouldn't necessarily scratch if he had fleas, because not all cats are allergic to the flea's saliva.
Another possibility is an eosiniphilic condition. You can read more about that here:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2141&aid=3619
My educated guess would be more towards a feline acne type situation, which can be treated by continuing to bathe with some warm water and an antibacterial soap, rinse well, and keep dry. You can also use some of the products listed at the link I included above re: feline acne; however, a definite diagnosis and treatment from the vet would be your next best step, so it would be a good idea to set up an appointment to have Dooley seen in person. A skin scraping can be taken from the area (painless), analyzed, and then the vet will be able to provide the best treatment for the condition found.
I hope all will be well with Dooley and please let me know how he's doing and what the vet tells you. Thanks!
Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback so I am recognized by the site for my assistance. Thank you!
If you need any additional information, just click Reply and I will always be here for you and Dooley. Rating will not cut off our communication and this question will always be open for you to reply to me.
Warmest regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dooley. How is everything going?

Cher