Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Some friends of mine have recently discovered bird mites

Customer Question

Some friends of mine have recently discovered bird mites in their home, and are in the process of treatment. Can I keep their cat, who is and has been on revolution for a couple months, while they are treating their home? We have 2 cats and an older great dane. I don't want to bring mites into our home, but I would hate to see them get rid of their pet. Thanks!

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Mites are quite species specific and if they do contact a unnatural host only transient symptoms are seen before they die on that host. Do you know if these mites have been identified and which birds they came from?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They have not been identified as bird mites by their vet, but the vet did find mites on him. They were not able to identify what type under the microscope because they had never seen that specific kind before. The exterminator was able to identify bird mites, but not a specific type was given. My friend found an old bird nest in their wreath on the door. It fell and crumbled on him when he was putting it in storage. He didn't know it was there. He began feeling bites and having symptoms, which spread to everything and everyone else in their home.

Thank you for the additional information. If their cat is currently asymptomatic, I would attribute that to the Revolution (selamectin) because the avermectin compounds such as selamectin, ivermectin and doramectin are the drug class of choice when addressing feline scabies - a mite that causes the intensely pruritic (itchy) notoedric mange. In summary, if their cat isn't pruritic at this time, he should be able to be safely introduced into your home. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.