Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Just noticed a lump under my cats chin. It's close to marble

Customer Question

Just noticed a lump under my cats chin. It's close to marble sized. She is 14 and an indoor cat. She has been eating less & been drooling a bit from one side of her mouth...usually drools more when purring. I thought maybe it was a sore tooth, but just felt the lump...now I'm worried.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Glitter has a marble sized lump under her chin and that you have noticed her drooling more and eating less.Drooling can be related to eating something bitter (a bug or plant) or bad tasting, having something caught between her teeth, nausea, or mouth pain from gum disease. Because she is an older cat tooth and gum disease, a mass in her mouth, or organ failure with secondary nausea are other possibilities. It is possible that she has a badly infected tooth root such that the infection has invaded the jaw around the tooth root and caused the lump that you are feeling. It is also possible that she has a tumor in her mouth, either involving her gums or jaw. I would look closely into her mouth if you can to see if you can see redness, swelling or raw ulcerated areas in the area of her mouth close to where the swelling is on the outside.She should see her veterinarian for an examination, an aspirate of the swelling on the outside of her mouth and possibly sedation and radiographs of her tooth roots and jaw and a biopsy if her aspirate isn't diagnostic. Not an emergency if she is eating, but the sooner the better. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tricia,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Glitter. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara