petdrz
petdrz, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cat has a large, hard lump protruding from her left shoulder

Customer Question

My cat has a large, hard lump protruding from her left shoulder joint area. She's jumping around like usual, with no display of pain or restraint. We can touch the disfigurement without her complaint or withdrawal. We just noticed this yesterday.
Category: Cat
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Boo today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy to work with you.
Is the lump hard like bone?
Is it attached to the joint or is it moveable?
Is Boo an indoor only cat or is she allowed outdoors as well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lump is hard like bone. It feels attached to bone- it does not move.She is an indoor and outdoor cat- we live on 5 acres and she spends the majority of her time outdoors.Thanks for your help!
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply.The most likely explanation for what you are describing would be a trauma of some sort, especially for it to come up so quickly. Sometimes a hard blow to a site can produce a hard lump or even a dislocation, but I am surprised she is not reacting at all when you touch it. Cats are very good at hiding pain however, so that may be part of the reason. If it is not resolving at all or if she starts to exhibit other symptoms, I would definitely have her examined by your vet. They may be able to aspirate it or if not, at least get an xray to better determine where it is originating from. In the meantime, cold packs applied to the site may help reduce inflammation. Unfortunately, any of the over the counter anti-inflammatory or pain medicines are not safe to use in cats, so I would avoid them. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100%satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.Dr Z
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok- so basically we should just wait and monitor the injury and if it is not resolved or she starts to exhibit new or different symptoms, we should go to the vet.How long would you suggest we monitor prior to seeking further assistance?
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I would give it a day or two to see if it starts resolving or getting worse.Has she had any recent vaccines or injections given in that site?
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Boo. How is everything going?

Dr. Z.