Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

I have a Bengal cat thats 5 yrs old that's been toilet

Customer Question

Hello I have a Bengal cat thats 5 yrs old that's been toilet trained since last July she has been a100• poopy toilet trained since Jan. with no problems until 1 month ago.. Her sister comes over once a month for a week and has been toilet trained since she was a baby. My cat pooped in the bathroom where she goes and covered it up with a rug and got her in trouble once before I figured it out. Now about every 3 days she will poop on the floor and I locked in the bathroom and she'll poop in the toilet with no problem then when I let her out about on the third day she does it again what should I do? I came home today and she was already in the bathroom where I put her where she is punished because she had pooped on the floor.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Tammy and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you and your kitty today.

I'm sorry to hear that she has regressed with her toilet training. This could be happening for various reasons. First, it would be best to have her evaluated in person by her vet and have a fresh stool sample analyzed to make sure there is no underlying medical cause for this.

The fact that her sister visits once a month may be making her anxious and she will want to mark her territory with her poop; this is an instinctive behavior. You can try Feliway, a cat calming pheromone that comes in a plug in diffuser and a spray and this will help with anxiety and inappropriate elimination. Here is more information: Feliway

Also, make sure to clean any area she soils with an enzyme based cleaner for pet stains/odors, like Nature's Miracle, Zero Odor or Odor Mute. These are available in pet supply stores.

I wouldn't advise punishing her by locking her in the bathroom for 3 days; that will only increase her anxiety and make her upset. Reward her when she uses the toilet with a cat-healthy treat and if you're able, should she go on the floor again, show her that you're putting it (with a kitty litter scooper) into the toilet and tell her that's where it belongs and speak gently to her. Also, it might be a good idea to start from square one with the toilet training, so she remembers what she has to do.

I hope all will be well with your furry girl!

Please kindly rate my answer with positive feedback and if you have any additional questions, just click Reply and I will always be here for you and and your kitty. Rating will not cut off our ability to communicate. This question will always be open for you to reply to me.

Warmest wishes,
Cher