Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My 19 year old cat is stumbling pretty badly. He ate a

Customer Question

Hi, my 19 year old cat is stumbling pretty badly. He ate a little bit and drank quite a bit of water, but he is stumbling, falling over, front paws crossed, and somewhat disoriented.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. It sounds like your cat may have Vestibular disease. This is similar to Vertigo in people. They will be uncoordinated, they will fall over and often times they have rapid back and forth eye movement (nystagmus). The cause is typically unknown, but it's common in older cats in the spring and summer. We usually just let the signs resolve on their own. Most will get back to normal in 10-14 days. It would be a good idea to get an exam and make sure this is the cause. If you want to give something in the mean time, you can pick up a medication called Meclizine over the counter and give 12.5 mg to him every 24 hours for vertigo signs. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.