Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My cat will not use the litter box to pee, he is peeing on

Customer Question

My cat will not use the litter box to pee, he is peeing on the stairway I have put down a puppy pad because there is carpet there and I am tired of cleaning carpet. What could be his problem??? Help!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am sorry no one has helped you yet. My name is ***** ***** I just signed online and saw your question. I would be happy to help I just have a few questions. How long has this been going on? Has anything in the house changed including new litter boxes, new litter, house guests etc? Other then going outside the box any changes in his appetite, water intake or urination amounts? Is he an only cat? What have you used to clean the area he is going? Is he urinating on the puppy pad? Is he passing stool in the litter box?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been going on for months..... No big changes, I have tried changing litter to see if that will fix his problem, and yes he is pooping in the litter box and outside. He is one of four cats. We have had them all for quite a long time. No house guests, no changes in appetite, he eats like he is one of the dogs, we also have four dogs. No change in water intake. Cleaning with regular carpet cleaner. Then spray with fabrese to make it smell better. Yes good aim on the puppy pad... Thank God!😺
Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information. There are several possible causes for a cat to start going out of the box. The most common reasons are* Urinary tract infection, crystals in the urine or other urinary problems.When there are urinary tract problems it is not uncommon to see them urinate on soft or cool surfaces when there is any type of pain during urination. They often see the litter box as the cause of the pain so they will seek other areas.* Kidney Disease. The leading cause of death in cats is kidney disease. Normally this problem is not diagnosed until the later stages of this disease. When one kidney begins to fail the other kidney over compensates and we may not see changes in the blood work until 75% of kidney function is lost. When this is the problem you may see weight loss, increased drinking and urination, vomiting, loss of appetite constipation and lack of grooming with a dull hair coat. It does not sound like this is the problem with Stache but because it is such a common problem in cats it had to be considered. * Stress* Territory marking- This can start happening at any time in a multi cat household if for some reason a spat develops. The first place I would start his having your vet check a urine sample. It is very important that we rule out urinary problems in a male cat due to the fact that males are prone to urinary obstruction due to crystals, stones or general bladder sludge.Only once we rule out medical issues can we then start to address this as behavioral. I am going to go over a few things that we can do if this is a behavior problem so you can get started while waiting to see his vet.Behavioral problems often take a mix of behavior modification and medication to get back on track. You need to clean any areas outside the box where there has been urine or stool. Cleaning with an enzyme based clearer is needed to completely remove any traces of smell or they will continue to use this spot.Natures Miracle and urine off seem to work the best on cat urine,Here is a link to these productshttp://www.naturemakesitwork.com/home/index.phphttp://urineoff.com/You could try some natural calming agents just on the off chance that this is anxiety related.The first thing I would suggest is using a few Feliway plug in different areas of the home. These plug in release a cat calming pheromone that helps to reduce stress and is one of the most effective products on the market .They also have pheromone collars that are very helpful. Feliway is a good one but the pet stores will also carry a Sentry brand that is just as effective and less expensive.Composure products come in both liquid and treat form. This is a all natural anti anxiety supplementRescue remedy is also helpful for cats and can be added to the water so they get some every time they drink Try getting an open litter box and putting the puppy pad in the litter box rather then litter box rather then on the floor. After he is using that try putting a small amount of litter on the pee pad and slowly add more every few days. Try not to switch litter because that alone can cause them to go out of the box. They make a product called cat attract that you can add to litter to help entice them to the box. This can be purchased online or at some pet stores. I hope this helps give you some options. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be more then happy to continue.If you have no additional questions please take a few minutes to provide a rating so that justanswer is notified that your questions have been addressed and I can be compensated for my time.Candy
Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Stache. How is everything going?

Candy R.