Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My 12 year old was diagnosed with fluid in the abdomen yesterday.

Customer Question

My 12 year old was diagnosed with fluid in the abdomen yesterday. I am devastated! She said it is cancer but did not confirm this with any diagnostic equipment my cat is still eating, drinking, and jumping on furniture so I want another opinion.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am so sorry to hear about Princess, and how worried you are. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help. Was the fluid tested in any way: microscopic exam, sent to a lab for analysis? Has she had an abdominal ultrasound? Any blood tests?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Fluid building in the abdomen can be from a tumor, low blood protein ( an albumin measuring below 2.0), or from heart disease.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
If this were my own cat, I would get some of the fluid, and have it examined microscopically to see if there are any cancer cells in it. I would do blood tests, to see if that albumin number is ***** what the liver and kidney values are. And I would consider an abdominal ultrasound to look for a tumor in the abdomen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None of those things unfortunately I have a second opinion set up on Friday with a vet who is a cat specialist problem is I don't have a lot of money to spend especially if she ends up with cancer and there is no cure is there something with these symptoms that has a cure.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
The cure depends on what the cause, the diagnosis is. I would start with a microscopic exam of the fluid, and some basic blood tests. I would hold off on the abdominal ultrasound until I know more. For instance, if cancer cells are seen in the fluid, then there probably is little to be done. If the fluid is just clear fluid, no cancer cells, I would next look for a low albumin, and if it is low, would look for kidney or liver disease or whatever the cause of the low albumin is. It is very worrying to find fluid in the abdomen, but this might be a treatable condition. If it is his heart, the fluid may clear up with diuretics and heart medications.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything else I can help with, or answer? Please let me know how she is doing, and what you find out about her condition.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you need my help with anything else.
Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with updates and questions after rating.
Let me know how she is doing; best of luck to you both.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
How is Princess doing?