Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

I took my cat to the vet and she gave her a steroid

Customer Question

I took my cat to the vet for allergies and she gave her a steroid shot. Now, my cat is sneezing a lot. Does this have something to do with the shot and should I take her back in to see the vet?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome!
I'm so sorry to hear that Kit-Kat is sneezing so much and this symptom *could* be related to the steroid shot because it does affect the immune system. However, whenever you visit the vet's office, there's always a possibility she could pick up an upper respiratory infection (URI) from other cats that have been seen there. URI's usually take about 2 weeks to resolve on their own, as they are viral, like our human cold. Since she suffers from allergies for a long time, the sneezing could be due to that or she could have a URI.
If the Zyrtec has worked for her in the past, discuss with your vet if you should give this to her now, to help with her sneezing, or you could give another antihistamine like Chlor-trimeton, to help with allergy and URI symptoms. Here is more information:
http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton
Also, run a humidifier in the rooms where she spends the most time, as the moisturized air will help with the sneezing and congestion.
If she develops any additional symptoms, like greenish or yellowish nasal or eye discharge, call the vet and have her seen; these would be secondary bacterial infections requiring the use of antibiotics.
I hope all will be well with Kit-Kat and please let me know how she's doing. Thanks!
Please kindly rate my answer with positive feedback and if you have any additional questions, just click Reply and I will always be here for you and Kit-Kat. Rating will not cut off our ability to communicate. This question will always be open for you to reply to me.
Warmest wishes,
Cher