Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Cat has been a little constipated, has been very little

Customer Question

cat has been a little constipated,
bm has been very little volume.
Wondering what I can use, try pumpkin
but cat hated it.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome.My name is***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I am in a very different time zone to you and have just come online first thing this morning and found your question. 1. If Mikki is constipated you may want to try oral remedies such mineral oil { Liquid Paraffin } which is an over the counter product available from your chemist or pharmacy to relieve your cat's constipation, this type of product is very gentle and safe. The dose rate for an average size cat would be in the region of 1 ml twice a day orally. To be honest most cats are not going to like or gladly accept any constipation remedy so a small syringe you can also pick up at the pharmacy would be a good aid in administering this product. 2. But be aware that there would be two kinds of constipation in the cat, the first would be a simple or primary constipation which happens now and again and is not related to any disease process and may be related to feeding or some other minor factor, this will often quickly respond to the above common sense sort of treatment. But older cats can appear to be constipated on a secondary basis for other reasons such as bowel obstruction or diseases causing stasis of the bowel cancers of the bowel, so for this reason if the problem persists or other symptoms appear you should consider having a vet check Mikki over sooner rather than later.I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hi Bob,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mikki. How is everything going?