Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat was diagnosed with cancer. She had no symptoms

Customer Question

Hello, My cat was diagnosed with cancer. She had no symptoms except her belly was larger. All of her blood tests were normal. I brought her in on Monday and they gave her an ultrasound on Tuesday. On Wednesday, they diagnosed her with cancer. Her diagnosis says "Liver: There are well-defined variable sized cysts present in multiple lobes. In addition, there is a large 3-4 cm cystic lesion with echoic material within and a thick walled appearance. The gallbladder was not visualized as a separate entity. There is a smaller cystic lesion just caudal to the liver as well."
I was able to get her into the oncologist yesterday and they gave her caroplatnin and extracted the ascites.
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She also had no lung fluid and her bladder, kidneys and spleen were normal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What kind of cancer is this and any idea on her prognosis? I feel that we caught it early since she had no other symptoms besides her belly.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to hear of this with Ms. Georgie. The cellularity of the ascitic fluid will be examined and hopefully the pathologist will be able to determine the source and type of cancer by carefully examining the morphology and staining characteristics of those cells. Biliary carcinomas are the most common liver cancers in cats and these have a poor prognosis as they're commonly diffuse - as appears to be the case upon ultrasounding her - and have high metastatic rates. If this is the case, Ms. Georgie may well be lost in the coming weeks or few months as the loss of normal liver progresses. Once 75% of normal liver tissue is lost, liver failure is expected. I'll hope for a good response to the chemotherapy but I'm quite concerned for Ms. Georgie. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.