Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

Why does my older cat hate my younger cat after 1.5 years

Customer Question

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.
Having two female cats in the same house is often difficult. It is easier when they are different genders, but cats are territorial creatures, and sometimes it just doesn't work out. Here are some things you can try:
Never let the cats “fight it out.” Cats don’t resolve their issues through fighting, and the fighting usually just gets worse. Interrupt aggression with a loud clap of your hands, spray from a water gun or a burst of compressed air (no noise).
Separate their resources. Reduce competition between the cats by providing multiple, identical food bowls, beds and litter boxes in different areas of your house.
Provide additional perches. More hiding spots and perches will allow your cats to space themselves out as they prefer.
Don’t try to calm or soothe your aggressive cat, just leave her alone and give her space. If you come close, she could turn and redirect her aggression toward you.
Reward desired behavior. Praise or toss treats to reward your cats when you see them interacting in a friendly manner.
Try pheromones. Feliway, a product that releases a calming cat pheromone (which humans can’t smell), may reduce tensions. Use a diffuser while the aggression issue is being resolved. You can buy them on Amazon.com.
Good luck! Persistence is key. All is not lost here. I would start with the Feliway and then try some of the other techniques, and be consistent.
I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.