Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat saw a doctor today because she has something stuck in her phary

Customer Question

My cat saw a doctor today because she has something stuck in her pharynx. Dr. Administered antibiotic , vetalog and fluids sq. hoping to see if object passes. Tonight she is more lethargic and lying on the bed respiration 42 per minute.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about GInger. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
I am sorry an expert did not help you before now; I just came online and saw your question.
Where is the obstruction/object? The pharynx is the back of the mouth, behind the tongue, before the opening to the esophagus (tube from mouth to stomach); you should be able to see and reach an object in the pharynx.
Let me know how she is doing and if you still need help with her.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for responding. Since the concerns arose late last night I am disappointed I paid $22 and didn't get a response sooner. I also stayed awake worrying about my cat and awaiting a reply. She was eating grass when I took her for a walk on a leash, so I assumed her gag reflex was triggered by something being stuck in her pharynx.

She wet the bed in the middle of the night and refused food upon awakening. I took her back to the vet early this morning. She had a fever of 104. They drew blood and are running a complete blood panel. In addition they administered dexamethasone and more fluids sq. Not so sure the gag reflex was triggered by grass or a stem or is the result of something else, given the fever.

I should know by 4:30 the results of her blood work. She did eat quite well after returning from the doctor visit this morning.

Again, thanks for responding

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I can understand your being frustrated about not getting help sooner. You have only paid a deposit, and it will be returned to you if like.
Thanks for letting me know how she is doing. Let me know if I can help you with anything else, or if you would like me to contact the moderators so your deposit is returned.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks! I would appreciate a return. It was late and I was so worried about my cat, I didn't read the fine print explaining that this was a deposit on a continuing service.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I will contact the moderators.