VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience:  Published author in veterinary medical journals and on the Veterinary Information Network with a focus in toxicology
24209094

My cat started sneezing two weeks ago, while we are using the

Customer Question

my cat started sneezing two weeks ago, while we are using the air conditioner to keep 22'C
Category: Cat
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 1 year ago.
Hi there!
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you with your question about your kitty.
Are you noticing any discharge from Doudou's eyes or nose? If so, does it have a color? Any other signs?
How is Doudou eating/drinking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, there was yellow discharge from doudou's nose roughly a week ago, right now it is better. and also some brown discharge from his eyes
There are a couple of things that can be going on.
One is an upper respiratory infection. Many, many kittens are exposed to kitty viruses when they are young before they get their first vaccines. One of the most common viruses out there causes cats to have something similar to a human head cold.
As this is a virus, it typically doesn't require antibiotics to treat, and can be managed at home with supportive care so long as Doudou continues to eat, drink, and be active as per normal. These can turn into secondary bacterial infections, so if he starts developing discharge again or his nose becomes clogged so he can't breath or can't smell (they often stop eating in this case), he will need to go into the vet clinic for further care.
Similarly, if this is the first time you are turning on your air conditioning in the heat, it could be kicking up dust and other particles that makes everyone sneeze, a little bit like allergies. Again, this can be managed mostly at home so long as Doudou is acting normally otherwise.
Some things you can try at home to help him feel better:
Take him into the bathroom with you when you have a hot bath/shower. The steam will help to humidify his nose and help keep everything running out instead of clogging up his sinuses.
Feed him some really smelly wet food. If a cat has trouble breathing from a respiratory infection, they can't smell food as easily. This will lead a kitty to stop eating in a lot of cases. You can heat wet food in the microwave for a few seconds to make it smell really strong and entice them to eat.
Keep an eye on his urine output to make sure he's urinating as per normal. Sick kitties that aren't drinking can very easily get dehydrated, and this is another sign they need to go into the vet.
Pick up some l-lysine powder at a local pet store. This is a dietary supplement for cats that helps to strengthen their immune systems when they get upper respiratory infections. You can add it to his food once a day to help prevent him from having flare-ups as he gets older. When a cat is exposed to a kitty upper respiratory virus, they tend to have "kitty colds" during periods of stress in their life, and the powder helps to bolster their immune systems against it.
If this is a reaction to dust from the air conditioner or a viral infection, once the stress of the new home settles, he should recover at home with supportive care. Once he is feeling better, the vet will need to do vaccines at the clinic to help prevent him from contracting further illnesses. Though once they've been exposed to a respiratory virus, it's typically something they occasionally have to deal with throughout their lives.
If at any point he starts to get warm like he has a fever, if he gets listless or is sleeping all the time, if his discharge starts to turn green or yellow (brown from the eyes is normal, as cat "tears" have a slight color tinge to them), if his eyes start to swell or he his nose becomes clogged from mucous, if he's not urinating very much, or if he stops eating or drinking, these are all signs that the viral infection may be progressing towards something more bacterial, which will need medication from a vet to treat and possibly more intensive care like fluids.
There are some vets that will give the first visit for free, so it is always worthwhile to call around to see if you can get him in now to be examined at a vet just to make sure he's a healthy kitten prior to getting all of his vaccines started. They can also listen to his heart and lungs and make sure everything's clear.
22 degrees C is a good temperature to have your home set at with an animal in the house. I tend to keep mine between 20-25 degrees at home. 33 degrees is fairly hot, and animals are even more prone to overheating than we are, as they do not sweat as easily.
Hopefully he should bounce back fairly quickly, but make sure to contact a vet if he declines or is not improving. If you have any further questions or concerns, hit "reply" to get back with me!