Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

4 inches of my cat's tail got cut off

Customer Question

my cat's tail got severed about 3 inches from the rectum can I treat the cat at home?

Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am so sorry to hear what happened to your cat! I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
How long ago did this happen? Is it bleeding?
How is she acting since this happened?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
If you want to treat this at home, the first thing is to get the bleeding under control, if it is bleeding. I would not use a tourniquet. Apply direct pressure, by pressing on it with a bandage or cloth. Ice wrapped in a cloth should also work.
Once the bleeding stops, you can try to keep it from getting infected by applying Neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment.
Giving something for pain would be good, but there are not many over the counter pain relievers safe in cats. Aspirin is not advised, since it thins the blood and could start it bleeding again. Tylenol is pure poison to cats. Most safe pain drugs would be prescription.
Let me know how she is doing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Accident about 2 hours ago, light bleed.gave.5 aspirin.irrigated with saline and poltice protandim and olive oil and wrapped it.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Great! I would leave the wrap on for a day.
Was it 1/2 of a low dose (or "baby") aspirin? The dose of aspirin in cats is 1/2 baby aspirin, but do not repeat it for at least 3 days; more often and it will make her sick.
Let me know what else I can answer, and let me know how she is doing.