Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My rag doll get tree sap in his paw he got out it took me an hour to find him, we live on

Customer Question

My rag doll get tree sap in his paw he got out it took me an hour to find him, we live on a big ranch, he is inside cat lonely. he has pine tree sap on his front right paw, it is deep in between his little pads
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome!
Thanks very much for requesting me to help you with this situation.
You can help to loosen and remove sap from your cat's paw by rubbing into the the area: vegetable oil, olive oil, mineral oil, plain Vaseline or peanut butter; then, remove the sap and oily removal product using a cat safe shampoo and warm water with a washcloth or paper towel. You can also use original plain blue Dawn dishwashing liquid to cut the grease of the product you use. Any grease-cutting dishwashing liquid will do, as long as it doesn't contain any 'crystals' or bleach.
Pine sap is not typically toxic to cats, but you don't want your kitty to lick a lot of it.
If there are stubborn, sticky areas on the fur around the paw pads, where you can't get the sap off, you can use a surgical clipping blade or scissor to carefully trim/remove the fur or, if you don't feel comfortable with doing this yourself (you have to be VERY careful not to cut his pad/skin), make an appointment with your vet or a groomer.
Vets that are open on the weekends and offer a coupon for a free first visit are:
http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer
http://www.banfield.com/landing/index.html
They are nationwide, so hopefully, there is one near you.
I hope you are successful in getting all or most of the sap off your little boy's paw and all will be well!
Please kindly rate my answer with positive feedback and if you have any additional questions, just click Reply and I will always be here for you and your kitty. Rating will not cut off our ability to communicate. This question will always be open for you to reply to me.
Warmest wishes,
Cher