Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My husband and I found a few stray cats on our porch. They

Customer Question

My husband and I found a few stray cats on our porch. They are both very sweet but appear very I'll both breath loudly and sneeze a lot , both have lots of muck coming out of their noses and mouths accompany with foul stench? One of them just started getting blood from his mouth. Seems happy besides the fact. I have been giving the, Luke warm watered down milk and tuna. Both try to eat then just stare at it. :( idk what to do and honestly can't afford a vet Bill.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. These strays have a high incidence (risk) of carrying the feline leukemia virus (FeLV) and the kitty AIDS virus (FIV) - both of which are immunosuppressive and so secondary bacterial and viral infections arise in addition to those viruses. I'm likely to find not only FeLV and FIV in these cats but also the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) and the bacteria Chlamydophila and Mycoplasma in their respiratory tracts and oral cavities.
Unless you're prepared for a lifetime of vet bills, it's best not to become too attached to these cats but, instead, surrender them to an SPCA or animal control facility near you. I applaud your caring for them but I believe you'll find it an onerous task to do so.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Hi Bree,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?