Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My daughters cat is walking in circles and chasing her own

Customer Question

My daughters cat is walking in circles and chasing her own tail. She seems to be very disoriented. This is not normal tail chasing behavior.
I am worried about the cat and my daughter. We live on a farm and the cats live outside.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome!
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help with your cat question today. I just have a few questions, to get to know the kitty and the situation in order to better assist you:
How old is your daughter's cat?
What is her name?
Is she spayed?
When did this behavior first become noticeable?
Is the cat eating, drinking and eliminating normally?
Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me some time to go through it and compose/send your detailed answer.
Warmest wishes,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is spade. She has been sick since last night. Not eating but her eyes are glazed and see curls to the left. When she gets up from thar poskst I n she only can turn in circles to.the.left.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When she gets up from the curled position she seems to only be able to turn to the left.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is 2 years old and her name is ***** *****
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your helpful reply.
From your description of Ming Ming's symptoms, there are various possibilities. She may have ingested a toxic substance, since she's an outdoor cat; there are many varieties of toxic plants, flowers, and if there is rat poison on the property or wherever she roams, she could have ingested that and it is deadly, if not treated immediately, as it removes the clotting factor from the blood. Even if she did not ingest the poison on her own, if she's a mouser and eats her prey, she could be poisoned by proxy, if she ate a mouse who ingested the poison.
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1677&aid=2231
She could have a brain tumor which is causing these symptoms, or she could have vestibular syndrome which is usually caused by a disturbance in the inner ear, which controls balance/equilibrium.
http://www.petplace.com/article/cats/diseases-conditions-of-cats/brain-spinal-cord-nerves/vestibular-disease-in-cats
http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/cancer/c_ct_brain_tumors
The circling to one side is of concern and if her eyes are glazed over, I would consider this an emergency and have her seen, asap by a vet or ER vet, right away.
I hope you are able to have her evaluated in person, asap and please let me know how she's doing. Thanks!
Please kindly rate my answer with positive feedback and if you have any additional questions, just click Reply and I will always be here for you and Ming Ming. Rating will not cut off our ability to communicate. This question will always be open for you to reply to me.
Warmest wishes,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
I'm just checking in with you to see how Ming Ming is doing.
Were you able to have her evaluated in person by a vet?
Please keep me posted, as I am concerned about her. Thank you!
I hope all will be well with your furry girl!
Warmest wishes,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Cher