Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I have a pregant female in, I think late stages of pregnancy.

Customer Question

Hi, I have a pregant female in, I think late stages of pregnancy. My other cat had kittens about 6-7 weeks ago and until the last couple of days the pregnant cat hissed at the kittens, now she is very tolerant of them and even playing with them. However, we also have dogs who she has never had a problem with before but since the weekend they can't even walk within 6 feet of her or the other cat's kittens without her attacking them - does this mean she is very near to having her own kittens? Thanks any suggestions appreciated, we have actually now seperated her from all the other animals in the house
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help. It appears your requested expert is not available at this time.
It does sound from her behavior that she is getting close to having her kittens. If you squeeze on a nipple, and get milk out if it, she is probably less than a week from delivering them.
Since she is defending the other kittens, she is probably going through the hormone changes of late pregnancy.
You could consider having an Xray done, to see how many kittens she has, and how developed they are.
Your other cat will be pregnant again soon if she is going outside. Usually a cat is pregnant with a second litter when the first litter is about 6 weeks old or so.
It does sound like you will be having this next litter soon. Let me know what else I can help with or answer.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI RebeeccaMum & 5 kittens are doing well thank you, ***** ***** them on the afternoon of the 10th.Regards
Lorraine
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
That is good to hear; thank you for letting me know.
Is there anything else I can answer, or help with?
Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with updates and questions after rating.
Hope they all continue to do well. Nothing more fun than kittens!