Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

I just found today my cat has a open sure under the tail..can

Customer Question

Hi, I just found today my cat has a open sure under the tail..can you advice any medicine.Thanks
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome!
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to be of help to you and Smokey today.
Is the open sore actually under the tail, itself, or near the anal region?
Is the sore bleeding or oozing at all?
Is Smokey licking the area, and does it seem painful?
Is she eating, drinking and eliminating normally?
Thanks for all your additional information.
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
I was hoping to hear right back from you, with some additional information, but I see you're offline, so I will send my answer now and if you have any additional questions, I will be glad to continue.
If the sore is directly on the underside of the tail, for the moment, you can clean it with some Betadine diluted to the color of weak tea, pat dry and then apply a thin film of plain Neosporin. It's safe if Smokey licks the Neosporin. However, she should be seen by the vet asap, for an in-person exam of this area.
If the sore is near the anal area, this may be a ruptured anal gland and should also be evaluated by the vet right away for a definite diagnosis and treatment before it worsens.
I hope this helped and all will be well with Smokey!
Please kindly rate my answer with positive feedback and if you have any additional questions, just click Reply and I will always be here for you and Smokey. Rating will not cut off our ability to communicate. This question will always be open for you to reply to me.
Warmest wishes,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris Qureshi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Smokey. How is everything going?

Cher