Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I've an old cat with chf. How much lasix should I give him? I can't get him to a

Customer Question

I've an old cat with chf. How much lasix should I give him? I can't get him to a vet until tomorrow
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
The initial dose of furosemide (Lasix) when addressing CHF approximates 0.5-2 mg/lb which may be adjusted/repeated every 1-2 hours until the respiratory rate improves. I like to see a respiratory rate of less than 40 breaths/minute at rest. Furosemide is safe for any cause of CHF in cats and the first drug to reach for when a cat's heart decompensates.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has lost a lot of weight and is drooling a lot. He's staying very quiet. Was fine a week ago, not to active but fine.
Any other ideas?
Advanced heart disease can cause a cardiac cachexia (wasting) but we also have to consider that at 14 years of age degenerative conditions are likely to be present as well. Chronic renal failure is the most common of those conditions and will cause weight loss and drooling due to the nausea of uremia. Kidney failure is commonly seen in association with heart failure due to the kidneys not receiving adequate blood supply from a failing heart.
Yogi's vet will need to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and X-rays of Yogi's chest. Please fast Yogi for at least 4 hours prior to a blood draw for the most accurate test results. Please continue our conversation if you wish.