Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

The courtyard was treated 2 days ago. They sprayed

Customer Question

The courtyard was treated for mosquitos 2 days ago. They sprayed with Bifenthrin and assured me it was safe for animals once it dried. This evening, my female cat, who goes into the courtyard uner my supervision, came out of some bushes. She had a brown sticky powder down her back. As I tried to wipe it off, it turned yellow. The company states that it could not be their product since it did not powder. (I cleaned her as thoroughly as could with a towel and water, then with cat wipes. I think I got most of the stuff off. I am very concerned about the affect on my cat. Will it poison her if ingested?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for requesting me,
Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.
My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.
We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }
Regards,
Dr Scott
Hello again Linda and thanks for waiting. 1. Good news! I very much doubt if Bella is at any risk, my experience is that these sorts of sprays are very safe to animals shortly after application as they dry in and get absorbed very quickly. I have known problems occur to cats within the first hour of application of such sprays but never beyond that. 2. The deposit you saw on her back more than likely came from the bushes or herbage, but even if it had presented a toxic problem your quick action in washing her down would have been enough to make things safe. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.