Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Hopefully a person with a bit more knowledge on this

Customer Question

Hello, hopefully a person with a bit more knowledge on this subject can help me. Lately, for about the past year, year and half, I have been giving my cat Izzy Temptations cat treats daily, mostly the chicken flavor ones because she loves them the most. But what I've noticed from her is more lethargic attitude, more vomiting, all she wants to eat is the Temptations and not her dry or wet cat food (I feed her Fancy Feast Mornings Wet Food with the Chicken and Egg, and then the dry food is Wellness brand Chicken and Duck). I've been reading more and more than Temptations cat treats are actually bad for cats and some people have said that their cat of around 4 to 5 years old died from eating this stuff..... PLEASE what should I be feeding my cat.... Every website feeds me different info and I just and confused... I want my cat to be healthy, have a love of playing, and long life because she deserves it. Please can someone help me with a diet I can use?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned about Izzy's health and are trying to find information about how best to feed her to keep her healthy.
Treats are fine once in a while, but anything in excess isn't a good idea. This leads to a diet that isn't properly balanced and long term health issues. She is drawn to treats because they are formulated to be very tasty, not to be balanced. Just like kids would eat ice cream and candy if they could choose cats would eat treats. I would limit treats for times when she does tricks or is very well behaved, say at a veterinary visit or when you need to teach her something or have her come to you.
In general I find Wellness, Royal Canin and Science diet to be good, well balanced foods that are formulated based upon research and feeding trials. Purina Pro Plan is also very good. They are also readily available. I recommend them for all of those reasons.
That said a food is only as good as an animal's ability to digest and absorb it, and willingness to eat it. If Izzy isn't eating it then that isn't the right foods for her.
I find in general that cats that eat primarily canned food tend to be healthier than those fed primarily dry, especially if your kitties are gobblers. Dry food expands in the stomach and can lead to an overfull stomach and vomiting. Canned foods are also lower in simple carbohydrates which cats should not be eating anyway because they are true carnivores, and carbohydrates often cause weight gain and nausea. A few kibbles after eating a canned food meal can help slow tartar formation, although brushing her teeth is best.
Whatever food that you choose make sure to transition the very slowly, over a period of 10-14 days is ideal, but at least a week. Abrupt changes in diet almost always lead to stomach upset and vomiting.
Best of luck with your Izzy, please let me know if you have any further questions.