Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My cats purring and meowing sounds congested I bought some

Customer Question

my cats purring and meowing sounds congested I bought some hairball eliminator today and i just wanted to know if I should be on the look out in case its worse.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
With audible congestion sounds, the problem is usually in the upper airway. URIs (upper respiratory infections)are common in cats and they can lead to a variety of signs- nasal discharge, ocular discharge, congestion, coughing, sneezing, hoarse sound to voice.
The treatment is usually with an antibiotic (Clavamox or Doxycycline) +/- an anti-inflammatory (Onsior) medication. This will usually get the signs under control fairly quickly.
If you just want to wait it out at home, they will often times resolve on their own over 1-2 weeks. Running a hot shower and putting him in the bathroom will allow him to breathe in the steam. This can help with some of the upper airway congestion.
If you notice any open mouthed breathing or if his gums look pale or blue, then I would get to a vet right away.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should I wait to see if its a hairball the relief I got will work, it says to give it to him for 4 days.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
You can give the hairball relief, but this does not sound like a hairball issue. It sounds like an upper respiratory issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks for your advice I'll try the shower thing if he doesnt sound better I'll take him in.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. You're welcome.