Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My cats enzymes test on liver came back high, she is 5 yrs

Customer Question

My cats enzymes test on liver came back high, she is 5 yrs old and was healthy. Her sister cat was sick now she's fine. The vet said sometimes when they haven't eaten for a few days their liver might do it, also they are indoor cats? Should I do any ultrasound now or wait a couple more days?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Pinky and her elevated liver enzymes. Unfortunately elevated liver enzymes in cats can be very serious. They can get really high after not eating for a few days because the cats body starts to mobilize fat within the body and stores it in the liver for energy causing a liver disease called hepatic lipidosis. This is very dangerous. If she is eating now then these liver changes could possible improve on their own. But the major question is why did she stop eating in the first place. I always recommend being aggressive with these cats and I strongly recommend an ultrasound to evaluate the liver and intestines or if that is not an option right away then if she is eating and doing ok recheck the liver enzymes a few days later to make sure they are coming down and get the ultrasound as soon as possible. With that being said I would not wait to long I would plan on doing the ultrasound and to recheck liver levels to see if improving or changing. It is better to be aggressive then to wait to long and not being able to fix whatever is going on. The question is what started all this and how do you fix it for Pinky. She may need specific medications or diets or other therapies to help her get over this and usually the sooner these are started the better.
I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time.
Hi Jane,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Pinky. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead