Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Dr. Fiona, I am concerned about my cat, Apollo. He's

Customer Question

Hello Dr. Fiona,
I am concerned about my cat, Apollo. He's three years old and has always had moderate hair loss near his back and tail, gunk in his eyes and nose, and sporadic scabs on his ears and head. The vet would always tell me it is from an allergy and give him a vaccination. The vaccination always helped, but the symptoms would soon return.
The other day I was playing with him and he bit me pretty hard. It was out of character for him. Since then he's been sleeping under my bed for most of the day. He eat and does his business when he needs to and then returns to the spot.
If I look under the bed he will come out and cuddle up against me on the bed for a bit, but then return to the spot. It seems like depression.
I decided to write to you because an hour ago he came out from under the bed and there was a noticeable sore on his head that is open. I don't know if this was a scab that he scratched and opened or if he cut it somehow coming out of the bed, but it is cause for concern. If you have any advice on what this may sound like I would appreciate it. I have pictures, but do not know how to send them.
Thank you.
Nick
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Attached are some photos
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, he is an indoor cat. Hasn't been outside in over a year and had his updated vaccinations.
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 1 year ago.
Hi there!
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you with your question about your kitty.
Sorry it has taken someone so long to get back with you! I have a few questions if you don't mind answering.
It's a little hard to tell from the picture, is the wound on Apollo's head a surface injury like a scraped off patch of skin, or does it look more like it's in the deeper tissue, like a really large pimple that's popped open and is oozing pus/blood?