How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask VetTechErin Your Own Question
VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Category: Cat
Satisfied Customers: 669
Experience:  Published author in veterinary medical journals and on the Veterinary Information Network with a focus in toxicology
24209094
Type Your Cat Question Here...
VetTechErin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My cat had vomited we frothy liquid 5 times today. After the

Customer Question

My cat had vomited we frothy liquid 5 times today. After the first time he was fine. I thought it was just a hairball, it happens from time to time. But after the second time he was sitting up and did not move and seemed to have labored abdominal breathing for what seemed like forever, but was possibly a couple minutes. He then moved a Cole of feet and vomited again. He just sat there after that time. He seemed lethargic I brought him done water, but he did not drink it. I turned the faucet on, just was not interested. I picked him up and had him lay with me on the bed, he took a nap and seemed to perk up a bit then he got up and puked again. I tried offering him water he didn't want it. I even opened a can of food which usually makes him excited, and nothing. I let him be. Then he went to the let box and puked again while he pooped, and he just sat there. I got him to get out if the litter box. The poop didn't seem to have any blood in it and appeared soft. He then hid for a while. I then picked him up and he cuddled with me, but seemed just s little lethargic. He did urinate once today. I had to leave for a couple hours, when I came back he came up to me seemed less lethargic and was rubbing on me. I still haven't seen him drink. Sorry about the long history. I just opened a new bag of Purina beyond 2 days ago I heard there was a recall on it. I was also concerned about dehydration. Can I wait the night and see if here improves or should I take him to the vet? And do thou think the Purina could be making him sick?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 1 year ago.
Hi there!
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you with your question about your kitty.
To start with your question about the Purina product, the recall was of a batch of Purina One Beyond dry dog food (it looks like it was the 3.5 pound bags). This was due to a salmonella contamination. As this was in a dog food, rather than a cat food, unless there are further recalls, it is unlikely that Sammie is having a reaction due to this recall.
In respect to the recent allegations against Purina Beneful in general, the complaints are geared towards the presence of an ingredient called "propylene glycol", which they've related to antifreeze, and the possible contamination of "mycotoxins".
To address these concerns, propylene glycol is a food preservative that is found in a large number of dry pet foods as well as a large number of human foods and products. While it was introduced as an alternative to antifreeze, it is a safer alternative. It is relatively nontoxic in small doses and is nowhere near as bad as antifreeze. The FDA regulates how much an be put into food, and a regulated amount in pet food is not going to be enough to cause clinical signs when ingested.
Mycotoxins is just a fancy word for saying mold. Any old or improperly stored food has the potential to become moldy and develop mycotoxins. The FDA has not issued any recall for the Purina brands for being contaminated by mold at the production level, and this is as likely to occur at home or in the store as it is during the processing of the food.
In essence, unless the FDA makes an announcement about improper amounts of PEG, or foodstuffs contaminated by molds, this is not something I would worry about.
However, Sammie seems to be showing some pretty significant signs of illness. Considering that cats have a tendency to hide their illnesses for as long as possible (which can sometimes make it hard to even tell if they are sick), it's very concerning that he's pretty sick if he's acting as sick as he is.
Because of that, I think it is safest that you get him into a clinic to be seen tonight. Even if this is just a virus that's hitting him, it's hitting him pretty hard, and they'll be able to get him rehydrated, stop the vomiting, and hopefully stimulate his appetite.
Vomiting is a very common sign to almost all diseases, so it is difficult to determine the cause of vomiting without further testing at a clinic, but I believe the severity of Sammie's signs has put him past something mild that can be managed at home.
If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to hit "reply" to continue the conversation.