Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat ate some greens from a flower arrangement. She immediately

Customer Question

My cat ate some greens from a flower arrangement. She immediately vomited up the plant yesterday morning. She vomited a few more times, some food and more of the plant. She is eating and drinking but every once in a while she is dry heaving. Sometimes a bit of clear saliva comes up, sometimes nothing. She is not quite herself as she is normally very perky but she isn't lethargic. She has a bit of gas but not abdominal distention. May vet is closed today. She I keep an I on her and take her the vet tomorrow?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry Rudy is not feeling well.
Do you know what flowers and greens were in the arrangement?
What food is she eating and throwing up?
Thanks,
Terri
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure. However, I did review a list of toxic plants and flowers on another website and it doesn't look like any of them were in the arrangement. She is eating her regular dry food which is Iams. She ate quite a bit this morning and did not throw it up. She also drank quite a bit of water. She dry heaved this morning twice which was productive. She dry heaved one more and nothing came up. Her nose is cold and wet and she is purring but she doesn't have quite as much energy. She's usually a maniac in the morning.
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for your very helpful reply. I am glad to hear there were no toxic plants involved.However, some plants (though not poisonous) can cause a digestive upset, nausea or oral sores. Check inside her mouth to be sure there is no irritation
As long as Rudy is eating her regular food and not vomiting, it is fine to observe her and see your regular vet tomorrow.
If she dry heaves, licks her lips or vomits saliva she may be nauseous.
If she is you can give her one quarter of a ten mg pepcid A/C (famotidine) to settle her stomach:
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx
I usually add it to a tablespoon of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic or canned cat food.
Please let me know how Rudy is doing. Just press reply and I will be here for you.
Love,
Terri
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Good morning,
I am just following up to see how Rudy is doing.
Please let me know.
Love,
Terri
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rudy. How is everything going?

Terri