VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience:  Published author in veterinary medical journals and on the Veterinary Information Network with a focus in toxicology
24209094

My cat spotted an aggressive neighbor cat through the back

Customer Question

My cat spotted an aggressive neighbor cat through the back door. Next thing, she is yowling and their is urine on the floor. This is new behavior. Is it abnormal?
Category: Cat
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 1 year ago.
Hi there!
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you with your question about your kitty.
While I would say this isn't -pleasing- behavior to behold, it is not completely abnormal. Cats use urine to mark their territories, even female cats and sometimes even if they are spayed. Suddenly being presented with an aggressive neighbor cat through the door can be scary as well, and anxiety can cause a cat to want to reassure itself by surrounding its territory with scent.
Keep an eye on this behavior, however. Spontaneously producing urine CAN be a sign of a urinary tract infection as well. Multiple bouts of urine leaking should be checked at a vet for possible infection and antibiotics if needed.
If this continues and medical causes are ruled out, she may need to have a perch placed close to the area where she keeps spotting the neighbor cat, so she can look outside and -down-, which should give her a firmer sense of security than being on the same level. A kitty who feels safe doesn't need to compulsively urinate in the area to declare her territory out of anxiety.
Use an enzymatic cleaner to clean up the spot, as this will break down the urine to a point where she won't smell it as much any more, and she won't be as compelled to urinate in certain areas where she might feel the need to strengthen a scent.
If you have further follow-up questions or concerns, please feel free to hit "reply" to get back with me.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

VetTechErin