Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat was injured in a fight nearly a month ago. He was severely

Customer Question

My cat was injured in a fight nearly a month ago. He was severely bitten on 3 of his four limbs. I took him to the vet, no breaks, no infection. No "permanent" injuries. Now he still has left side weakness, mostly front leg, like he doesn't want to put weight on his shoulder. His left front paw does not seem to function in the fingers. He will attempt to claw on his post, but the claws don't extend. I am wondering if this is permanent nerve damage, and if anything can be done to improve his function. First 2 weeks he did nothing but sleep, with force feedings/watering. He now feeds, potties, & waters himself & we do walks for PT everyday.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
I am so sorry your boy was injured. You have done an awesome job of helping him get better! Bless you!
Walking with toes curled under is a symptom of a disc or nerve injury:
http://pictures-of-cats.org/cat-walking-with-toes-bent-under.html
Now that he is putting his food down flat indicates he is improving. He should be started on anti-inflammatory medication immediately to promote healing.
In the meantime continue to exercise his muscles. Besides the walking, put him on your lap on his back, move his legs like he was riding a bike.
Please let me know how he is doing. Just press reply and I will be here for you.
Love,
Terri
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Terri