Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My cat has ear mites I gave her medicine yesterday now she

Customer Question

Hi my cat has ear mites I gave her medicine yesterday now she moping around house when I pick her up she meows like it hurts
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Jenny and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you and Chloe today.

I'm so sorry she's not feeling well, poor baby!

How old is she?

Were the antibiotics and ear mite drops prescribed by the vet? What are the names of the medications?

You said when you picked her up she meowed like it hurts--did you mean it seems to be painful under her arms, belly, chest, when you pick her up, or does it seem like her ears are hurting her when you pick her up?

Is she walking without a problem or does she seem a little dizzy?

Is she eating, drinking and eliminating as usual?

Thanks for all your additional information and after your reply, please allow me some time to go over it and then compose and send your detailed answer.

Warmest wishes,
Cher

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes she is eating drinking and pottying. She meows when I pick her up from the belly. She doesn't seem dizzy just not feeling good. The meds were prescribed by vet its amoxicillin and ear drops are pet armor

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Jenny and thanks for your very helpful reply.

I'm glad to hear she's eating, drinking and pottying as usual!

When you pick her up from the belly, she may have a tummyache because amoxicillin can cause some intestinal upset and she also may be uncomfortable due to the ear drops.If she has an ear infection in addition to the ear mites, she may be feeling a little dizzy, because an ear infection can adversely affect the equilibrium. Feeling dizzy can also make her feel nauseous. These may be some of the reasons she's not as active and is uncomfortable when you pick her up. The antibiotics can also make her feel 'dragged out,' so that's why she's 'mopey.' Ask your vet if you can give her 1/4 tablet of 10mg. Pepcid AC every 12 hours to help with any nausea and to help settle her stomach if it's being upset by the antibiotic. Here is more information: PEPCID AC

As long as she continues to eat, drink and use the litterbox as usual, that would be great, and once the antibiotics kick in and start alleviating her ear infection, and the drops start to kill off the mites and lessen the discomfort in her ears, she should start to feel better. For the moment, try not to pick her up if it seems to make her feel uncomfortable, and allow her to rest so her body can recover. Once she's finished with the antibiotics and ear drops and the vet tells you the infection/mites are gone, she should start feeling back to herself. However, of course, if you feel her condition is worsening, she's vomiting or has diarrhea, is crying, as if in pain, and/or stops eating, then put a call in to your vet to report these additional symptoms and/or bring her to an ER vet if this should happen when your vet is closed.

I hope all will be well with your sweet Chloe and I know she's in good hands! Laughing Just continue to monitor her and comfort her by petting her gently and talking to her all the time to reassure her.

Warmest wishes,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Jenny.

I'm just checking in with you to see how Chloe is feeling. I hope things are improving!

I hope you found my answer helpful and if so, please let me know. Thank you!

If you need any additional information or have further concerns, please don't hesitate to ask me by clicking on 'Reply to Expert', and I will answer as soon as possible.

I appreciate the opportunity to be of help to you and your darling Chloe and thank you for entrusting your question to me and Just Answer!

Warmest wishes,
Cher