Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My cat second time in two months passed out after eating

Customer Question

my cat for the second time in two months passed out after eating grass
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Kevin and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you and Pe Pe today.

Was the grass from your lawn or bought in a store, like 'cat grass?'

What happened after he passed out? Did he regain consciousness right away, did you bring him to the vet?

Is he acting normally with eating, drinking, eliminating, playing, etc., otherwise?

When was the last time this happened?

Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me some time to read through the info, compose and send your detailed answer.

Warmest wishes,
Cher

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The grass was from the lawn an he has done this once before after eating grass he comes to in less than a minute but is groggy an eyes are diolated for five minutes or so the last time this has happend was a mounts ago he is eating an drinking normal and is very active
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, Kevin and thanks for your very helpful reply.

From your description of his symptoms, it's possible that your lawn or soil is being treated with a chemical that is toxic to cats or to which Pepe is allergic. He also may have an allergy to grass, itself. It's also possible that he didn't just pass out, but may have had a seizure. Here is more information about seizures in cats, but all symptoms may not be present for each instance/each cat: CLICK

If he vomited grass before passing out, the vomiting in this case, could be associated with a heart condition triggered by the vomiting, resulting in fainting.

Because this happened twice within two months, it would be a good idea to have Pepe seen by his vet for a hands-examination, blood work/urinalysis, to find out if there are any abnormalities. Also, of course, keep him off the grass and prevent him from eating it, which you already mentioned you're doing, in your initial question. If a seizure or seizure-type condition is suspected, your vet may refer you to a veterinary neurologist who wil have the specialized equipment to check him out more thoroughly.

I hope all will be well with Pepe and please let me know how he's doing and what the vet tells you. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback so I get credit for my asistance, today. Thank you very much!

If you need any additional information, just click reply and I will always be here for you and Pepe. Rating will not cut off our communication; you can reply on this question at any time at no additional cost.

Warmest wishes,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Kevin.

I'm just following up with you to see how Pepe is feeling. I hope there have been no more 'episodes' and you will be able to have him seen by a vet.

I hope you found the information in my answer helpful and if so, please let me know. Thank you!

If you need any additional information or have further concerns, please don't hesitate to ask me by clicking on 'Reply to Expert', and I will answer as soon as possible.

I appreciate the opportunity to be of help to you and Pepe and thank you for entrusting your question to me and Just Answer!

Warmest wishes,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Kevin.

I'm just following up with you to see how Pepe is feeling. Please let me know, as I am concerned for him.

I hope you found my answer helpful and if so, please let me know. Thank you!

Warmest wishes,
Cher