Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

I have two female cats - a tabby who is 13 years old and a

Customer Question

I have two female cats - a tabby who is 13 years old and a calico that is 14 years old. I noticed recently that the tabby has licked all of the fur off her stomach. I don't know how long this has been going on, but with the long weekend, I have spent more time with them the last few days.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome!
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you and your furry girls.
From your description, it sounds like your tabby may have an obsessive-compulsive condition called feline psychogenic alopecia. Sometimes this is caused by stress, sometimes, allergies (perhaps to external parasites like fleas/mites), and various other causes, like a urinary tract infection--her bladder hurts, so she will lick that area excessively. If you haven't seen any behavior like her going to the litterbox very often and straining to produce just a few drops or nothing, or there's blood in her urine, this would indicate a UTI. In some cases, there is no known cause, so it is called 'idiopathic psychogenic alopecia'; however, it can be treated by her vet. Here is more information:
http://www.cat-world.com.au/over-grooming-in-cats
Bring your tabby to her vet for a hands-on exam and perhaps a skin scraping (painless) will be done and blood work may be ordered. After a diagnosis is made, your furry girl will be treated.
I hope all will be well with both your cats and please let me know how your tabby is doing and what the vet tells you. Thanks so much!
Warmest wishes,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
I'm just checking in with you to see how your tabby cat is coming along. Were you able to have her seen by a vet for diagnosis and treatment? Please update me, as my only goal is the good health and well-being of your kitty. Thanks!
If you found my answer helpful, please let me know, here. Thank you very much!
I hope all will be well.
Warmest wishes,
Cher