Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Our Cat "Inkie" has devloped sneezing a lot, ... now runny

Customer Question

Hi, Our Cat "Inkie" has devloped sneezing a lot, ... now runny nose and watery eyes. he is eating well, and enjoys playing outside but latly sleeps a lot more. he is about 9 months old.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome!
Thank you very much for requesting me to help you and Inkie.
I'm so sorry he's not feeling well.
The symptoms you describe, sound like he has developed an upper respiratory infection (URI), similar to our common cold, or he could have allergies, especially if he spends time outside.
If he has a URI, it is viral and has to run it's course, unless there are complications, like the development of secondary bacterial infections. At this time, as long as he is eating well, still enjoys playing, although he's sleeping more, which is due to the infection, things sound pretty normal.
You can help him by running a humidifier in the rooms where he spends the most time, and make sure he's drinking sufficiently. You can also run a hot shower to steam up your bathroom and sit in there with him for about 10 minutes, a few times a day, to help with congestion. You might try a plain, pediatric saline nose drops or a product called 'Little Noses', to instill in his nose at 1 drop per nostril, once a day. It's difficult to do, though, based on the small size of his nostrils, so it's not necessary unless he's so congested, he's mouth-breathing.
Observe him for any worsening symptoms like eye infection (swollen, red eyes, with greenish or yellowish discharge), large decrease in eating or drinking, coughing, labored or open-mouthed breathing and increased lethargy. If you notice these, a vet visit would be necessary.
Some vets will prescribe antibiotics to guard against secondary bacterial infections, but typically, a healthy, young cat will be able to fight off this viral infection on his own within about 10-14 days.
L-lysine is a good supplement to give him to help with upper respiratory symptoms. They make special formulations just for cats:
http://www.entirelypets.com/cat-lysine.html
You can order online or usually find these items in natural food stores or pet supply stores.
I hope all will be well with Inkie and please let me know how he's coming along. Thank you!
Please be so kind as to rate with positive feedback so I receive credit for my assistance today. Thank you very much!
Warmest wishes,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I'm just checking in with you to see how Inkie is feeling.
Were you able to have him seen by a vet? If so, what was the diagnosis and treatment?
Please try to update me, because my only goal is the good health and well-being of your furry boy! Thanks!
If you found my answer helpful, please let me know, here. Thank you!
I hope all will be well and I'll look forward to hearing back from you, soon.
Warmest regards,
Cher