Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

I'm surfing the net to see if there is a safe way to sedate

Customer Question

I'm surfing the net to see if there is a safe way to sedate a cat at home for first aid care, possible absess just under his left ear. We are in a remote Alaska town and no planes can fly in or out today and our only vet is out of town until Tuesday.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome!

I'm sorry to hear your cat has an abscess just under its left ear.

There is really no over the counter drug to safely sedate a cat at home, but, one thing you can try is an antihistamine like Benadryl or Chlortrimeton which carries the side effect of drowsiness and this might make him relaxed or tired enough for you to treat the abscess. Here is more information about both these over the counter medications, which I hope you can get where you live:

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton

In addition to the medication, you can also try feeding him a cat food containing turkey, which contains l-tryptophan, which is sleep-inducing, or give him some plain turkey breast to eat, containing no onions or garlic.

If you have help, after giving the medication (wait about 30 minutes), you can wrap him in a large towel or blanket, so only his head is sticking out and all 4 paws are contained, and one of you can hold him against your chest/upright, or over your shoulder like a baby, and the other can treat the abscess. If you can't get the antihistamine, you can try this 'burrito' method, in any case (when they're wrapped up in a towel, they look like a burrito! : )).

I hope this helps and all will be well with your kitty until s/he can see the vet on Tuesday.

Warmest wishes,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I'm just checking in with you to see how your kitty is feeling now, and if you were able to treat the abscess on your own and/or if your kitty saw the vet on Tuesday.

I also wanted to mention that keeping your cat's claws well-trimmed will help, if he is scratching at the abscess. You can even put 100% cotton infant socks on your cat's feet and tape them at the top, so he can't get them off (if he is scratching at the affected area with the hind claws) to help minimize trauma to the area.

I hope you found my answer helpful and if so, please let me know and/or rate with positive feedback. Thanks!

If I can help you any further, please just click 'Reply' and I will always be here for you and your furry boy. We can continue communicating even after you rate; you can reply at any time and I will answer asap.

I hope all is well with your kitty!

Warmest wishes,
Cher