Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

I have a cat who is 5 years old when she eats she throws

Customer Question

Hi I have a cat who is 5 years old when she eats she throws up today she did not want to eat. She seems cold and her feet are cold. She is drinking water thou
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome!
I'm sorry your kitty is not feeling well. I have some questions to get to know her and the situation, better:
What's her name?
Does she throw up right after eating, or just at random times?
When did the throwing up first begin?
Is she spayed?
Is she drinking her normal amount or more or less than usual?
Is she using the litterbox? Any diarrhea?
What food has she been eating?
Does she spend any time outside?
Does she seem to be having any trouble breathing? Any coughing?
Is she active as usual or seem lethargic?
Thanks for all your additional information and after your reply, please allow me some time to read through the info and compose/send your detailed answer.
Warmest wishes,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I was hoping to hear back from you, but I see you've been offline.
If your kitty is throwing up right after eating, this can be caused by various reasons. She may be eating too quickly, and to slow her down, put a new, washed golf ball in the middle of her dry food bowl to make her eat 'around' it. For wet food, serve on a flat plate and mash down the food with a fork, so it's spread evenly over the plate, so it's not mounded up in the middle. In addition, feed her small portions at a time.
Another cause of vomiting food, may be allergies to components in her current diet. If her food contains corn, soy, gluten, wheat, dairy products, eggs, carageenan, artificial flavors, colors and/or preservatives, these are all common allergens for cats. Also, there can sometimes be an allergy to the protein source (meat/fish) in the food, and in that case, you would want to try a Limited Ingredient Diet (LID) made by various manufacturers, like Royal Canin, Natural Balance, Blue and many others.
She also may have eaten something she shouldn't have, recently, and that caused her vomiting and inappetance, today. She may have developed an intestinal infection in her system or a hairball she can't get rid of, that is causing the vomiting, and reluctance to eat, today. Intestinal parasites may also cause vomiting in cats. Here is more information:
http://www.catsofaustralia.com/vomiting-cats.htm
Not eating, even for a short period of time, is very dangerous in cats, as it can cause a serious liver condition called hepatic lipidosis, so it's important to have your cat evaluated in person by a vet as soon as possible so she can be diagnosed and treated.
For the moment, if she is nauseated, you can give 1/4 tablet Pepcid AC 10mg. tablet in a small amount of soft food or a cat-healthy treat, if she can keep it down.
If your vet is closed and doesn't have emergency hours, bring her to an ER vet center for assessment and treatment.
I hope all will be well with your furry girl and please let me know how she's doing. Thanks!
Warmest wishes,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I'm just checking in with you because I hadn't heard back from you and was hoping to get an update on how your kitty is feeling, now, as I'm concerned for her.
I hope you found my answer helpful and if so, please let me know. Thanks!
If I can help you any further, please just click 'Reply' and I will always be here for you and your cat. We can continue communicating even after you rate; you can reply at any time and I will answer asap.
I hope all is well!
Warmest wishes,
Cher