Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

I have an 18 year old rag doll cat. a week she has

Customer Question

I have an 18 year old rag doll cat. For almost a week she has been listless and has not been eating. At first I thought she had a virus and would shake it off in a day or two. She will drink water but pretty much only licks the gravy off her soft food. She has not eaten any of her dry food which she usually likes.She has not had a bowel movement and she looks like she is losing weight. Today I noticed that her paw pads which are usually pink appear black.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome!
I'm so sorry your kitty has not been feeling well for about a week.
If she's not eating, this can lead to a serious liver condition called 'fatty liver' or hepatic lipidosis. In addition, older cats are more prone to develop conditions like diabetes, hyperthyroidism, liver and kidney issues and this may have brought on her symptoms. She may be experiencing discomfort in her mouth, from an abscessed tooth, gum infection, sores in the mouth, etc., and that's why she won't eat, but only drink and lick the gravy from the food. The black paw pads may be related to any of the above conditions or a different condition called pododermatitis or she may have a heart problem called cardiomyopathy, which causes a blood clot to lodge in the main artery leading to the hind legs and causes the paw pads to turn dark purple/blackish, meaning there's no blood circulating to the area.
It's very important that you have her seen in person by a vet, right away, so she can be diagnosed and treated. I would consider this a medical emergency, so I hope you're able to have her seen immediately.
I hope all will be well and please let me know how she's doing and what the vet's findings are. Thanks!
Warmest wishes,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I had tried to get an appointment with her vet and they couldn't take her until next Tuesday. I will call back and see if she can be seen sooner.
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, and you're most welcome.
If you explain to your vet's office that she must be seen today, because she's already been experiencing these serious symptoms for about a week, I hope they can fit you in. If not, call any other local vet who will be able to see her or take her to an ER vet center, where she will be seen right away.
Please keep me posted on how she's feeling. Thank you!
Warmest regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I'm just checking in with you to see if you were able to have your furry girl seen by a vet, yesterday or today and how she's feeling.
Please let me know, if you can, because I am concerned about her.
Thanks,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I hadn't heard back from you and was hoping to get an update on how your kitty is feeling.
I hope you found my answer helpful and if so, please let me know.
If I can help you any further, please just click 'Reply' and I will always be here for you and your cat. We can continue communicating even after you rate; you can reply at any time and I will answer asap.
I hope all is well!
Warmest wishes,
Cher