Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

I have two cats in my 10 cat household that are spraying on

Customer Question

I have two cats in my 10 cat household that are spraying on my kitchen counters. I have a male that stays in there a lot because he was semi feral, but I have not seen him do it. I'm not sure if these are the only two. They are both very "territorial" with me and won't share my attention with the other cats.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for requesting me. It is my pleasure to help.
Please tell me more about the fur kids:
how long is someone spraying?
Is everyone spayed or neutered?
Which one is the Head kitty?
Please list names, sexes and ages.
After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.
Thanks,
Terri
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kathy,
I was hoping to hear right back from you so we could talk about Lucky and Bear.
What is going on in your home is a struggle for power. This is considered territorial marking. Both boys are vying for the leadership position as head cat.
In a cat hierarchy a strong kitty will always try to take over and assume the head cat position. In addition, that is always subject to changes if cat one senses weakness in cat two. Cats DO work things out in their own way and they could care less what humans (or behaviorists) think. They only respond to the energy of another animal be it feline, canine or human.
One cat sprays to leave his calling card as if the say "LUCKY lives here This is HIS territory!' Bear, not to be outdone, pees right over him saying: "NO this is MY territory"!
From then on, its a pissing contest to see who will come out on top.
To solve this problem, first use zero odor to remove both cats urine. Next spray with feliway to fool them into thinking the counter is already marked.Next cover the counter with tin foil. They will not want to step in it.
http://www.zeroodorpet.com/
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/feliway/page1.aspx
Please let me know how things go. Just press reply and I will be here for you.
Love,
Terri